I tried creating a Hugo theme but failed

Posted on June 11, 2020 with 241 words.

The past few days was brutal and probably the reason why I haven’t updated my blog. I tried creating my own Hugo theme based on Cocoa with Tailwind CSS for styling.

I was working on it for almost a week with some custom implementations. I was already happy with the outcome that I tried deploying it without customizing the 404 page but the CSS itself is applying to the site.

I also tried Hugo’s PostCSS Pipeline but it also encountered an error when I tried building the site. Probably because I’m using a 32-bit system? I already have Hugo-Extended installed but I think I needed 64-bit in order to run the Extended version.

It was a great experience. I get to learn Hugo and Go, I also learned how Tailwind CSS works and it changed the way I write CSS on a website.

It really depends on you if you want to use Vanilla CSS or Tailwind CSS on a website. However, comparing Tailwind CSS to existing CSS frameworks like Bootstrap or Materialize, Tailwind provides you the flexibility of adding your own mix using @apply to a particular class unlike when using Bootstrap that you need to override much code in order to achieve your desire result. Check out Tailwind CSS’s docs for more information.

I’ll get back to it once I have the system that would let me build using Hugo Extended. For now, I’ll settle with the Hermit theme.

This work is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0

Last build time: May 9, 2021 at 08:09 (UTC)

This site contains easter eggs.